Our apprenticeships can last from between 18 months to around four years depending on which apprenticeship scheme you join. Our Level 3 Apprenticeship will give you qualifications equivalent to A-Levels, or a Level 4 Apprenticeship is equivalent to a foundation degree. If you join the Level 6 Apprenticeship in England or the Graduate Apprenticeship in Scotland, you’ll get a degree. And if you already have a degree, the Level 7 Apprenticeship will see you getting a Master’s at the end of your studies. Whichever scheme you participate in, you’ll learn on the job, without any of the debt of traditional study routes. Not only that, but as well as your Apprenticeship qualification, you’ll gain professional qualifications aligned to your role.
We also provide access to a suite of online learning features where you can push your own learning boundaries, at your own pace.
In terms of our specific apprenticeship roles, these fall into a number of areas. We’ve grouped these into different ‘pathways’ so that you can choose the route (and role) that’s most suited to your skills, interests and aspirations.
Our Change Management Apprenticeship Pathway is perfect for people who enjoy organising, whether that’s information or people. They are naturally curious – big picture thinkers who aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo. Our roles in this area include:
- Business Analyst (Bristol, Norwich or York) – Our Business Analysts capture requirements to drive solutions to meet customers’ needs, whilst being able to explain complex concepts and problems in a simple way. They analyse and evaluate business opportunities and identify areas for improvement as well as championing the use of technology to improve how we do things for our customers and our colleagues. As well as your Business Analysis Apprenticeship qualification you will also get a BCS International Diploma in Business Analysis
- Project Manager (Bristol, Norwich or York) – Our Project Managers are the experts of organisation; both of themselves and others! They are comfortable taking the lead in group situations and making sure that everyone is heard, and things get done in the right way, and on time. You’ll learn to act as an agent of change, driving success over the project lifecycle – from initial conception to delivery and handover. As well as your Project Manager Apprenticeship qualification we will also support you to achieve the Association of Project Management (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
- Service Fundamentals Analyst (York) – Our Service Fundamental Analysts learn all about our IT estate and are responsible for working on a variety of projects, making sure they stay on track and that they are being delivered to the right standard. They have a keen eye for detail, are brilliant at documenting and tracking progress and are great at communicating with other teams. Like our Project Managers you will gain a Project Manager Apprenticeship qualification and we will also support you to achieve the Association of Project Management Project (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
- Programme Management Office (Norwich or York) – The PMO team plays a key role in supporting other business and technology colleagues to deliver strategic programmes totalling hundreds of millions in value. The Programme Management Office role specifically is often described as being the “conductor of the symphony”; the independent view that guides delivery in the right direction! As well as your Project Manager Apprenticeship qualification we will also support you to achieve the Association of Project Management (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ)
Our Software Development Apprentice Pathway will see you designing or supporting the development of applications and platforms that will enable us to get the right products and services to the right customers seamlessly. We offer roles in this area at Level 4, Level 6 and Level 7. Our roles in this area include:
- Software Engineer Level 4 (Norwich) or Level 6/Graduate Apprenticeship (Bristol, Norwich, Perth or York) – Our Software Engineers work to create new products and platforms and maintain and enhance our existing applications. They work collaboratively in small teams to build high quality solutions that meet our customers’ needs: whether delivering technology change internally to meet the wider needs of the organisation or producing innovative digital tech like the award winning “My Aviva” customer portal
- Test Engineer Level 4 (Norwich) – Our Test Engineers are a pivotal part of our software development team. You’ll be responsible for performing functional and non-functional testing to identify bugs, errors, defects or any problems that could affect the performance of an application or piece of software. You’ll be trained across a variety of our applications and will become an expert in test automation and technical innovation
- DevOps Engineer Level 4 (Norwich) or Level 7 (Norwich) – Our DevOps Engineers are responsible for developing and facilitating the improvement and optimisation of our software engineering practices and processes to speed up and automate the development, testing and release of our code to production. They don’t settle for ‘this is how we have always done it’; instead they are constantly looking for opportunities to improve and optimise how we use technology in our business and are laser focused on providing industry leading cloud capability
On our Infrastructure, Network and Operations Management Apprentice Pathway, you’ll be part of the team that underpins all our technology areas: from the infrastructure and hardware, to the networks that connect everyone and everything together and finally the software and suppliers that we use. Our key role in this area is:
- Tooling Analyst Level 3 (Norwich) – Our specialist tooling team helps to manage, enhance and support the main IT Tooling System used by our colleagues both internally and externally. The tool is used to raise issues with IT software and hardware, to manage and deploy IT access and IT equipment, and to manage and implement changes to our IT infrastructure. It’s critical to our success, and you’ll be playing a key role in the team behind it.